Peter Lanyon
Peter Lanyons work may not share many visual similarities
with my work apart from perhaps use of colour and print. His affiliation with the landscape is where I
propose the parallels. Partly because he
wanted a visual language to describe the landscape as he perceived it or
enjoyed it. It is in the enjoyment of
the subject. To be in, surrounded by and
part of the landscape. Having said that
I am not a native to this part of England and in a way an interloper. Peter Lanyon was from his landscape. Like Graham Sutherland another of my
favourite artists he sought to paraphrase what he saw until it was almost
ambiguous. (Alley, R. 1982)
With my prints I want to simplify the language rather than
have it shout and scream seemingly above the noise. It seeks to be more subtle. The other parallel with my work and Peter
Lanyons is the meeting point of lines where one line cuts off another or
another line begins. Landscape is just a
large space for lines to meet. (Grieves A. 1992) As in his work at this link:







No comments:
Post a Comment